It's Meringue Time!
English summer fruits are on their way, so it's time to get your meringue on!
Here is Ashley's perfect meringue recipe that promises glossy, crumbly and delicious meringues.
A few notes before you start.
1. Meringue is super sensitive, make sure all your equipment is ultra clean.
2. Use only fresh eggs.
3. The whole whisking process should take no longer than a few minutes.
4. On piping - YouTube is full of 'how to pipe meringue' clips, if you've never piped meringue, don't be disheartened by your early attempts, everyone struggles at first, you just need to practice. Besides if you're hoping to make the best meringue dessert of all, Eton Mess, the meringue is hidden in the cream and strawberries so who cares what it looks like!
200g caster sugar
200g icing sugar
220g egg white
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Sieve together the sugars.
- With a kitchen aid (or other machine) whisk half the sugar mix with all the other ingredients to a frothy consistency.
- With your machine on three quarters of full power, slowly add the rest of the sugar mix, take about a minute doing this.
- Then put your machine on max for another minute.
- The mixture should quadruple in volume and take on a glossy thick (firm) consistency.
- Find someone that has recently displeased you and hold the bowl upside down above their heads. If any mix slides out and coats their hair then you need to whisk your meringue mix for a little longer!
- Put your mix into a pipping bag and pipe out the shapes you want on to baking parchment on a tray.
- Dry/cook the meringue in a oven at 80oC, it's size and atmospheric conditions will determine how long it takes to completely dry, but as a rough
guide, 4-8 hours!
- If your not sure if they are ready do what I do and eat one.